Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Bye Bye Kitty




Harley was our kitty.  Cody and my first child.  We got her the week before we were married, 10 years this year.  We rescued her and at the time, the vet thought she was about 4 or 5.  So that would make her 14 or 15 now.  Well, over the last year she had gone from 12 pounds to 5.  She had also become senile.  But, she was happy, and the kids were happy, and all was happy.  Well, one night Avery was holding her and she got spooked by the dog and bit Avery on the knee.  This was the 4th time in 2 weeks that she had bitten Avery.  This time her teeth went straight in to Averys knee.  Immediately it swelled up, but I thought that we would just watch it.  The next day Cody and I both had to work, and our babysitter was very concerned with how her knee was looking and Avery was barely able to walk on it.  So, we had the babysitter bring Avery to the doctor.  The doctor said that cat bites were the nastiest and that you had to be very careful.  So, Avery had to be on 2 weeks of heavy duty antibiotics, and eventually her knee healed fine.  But...Harley had to go.  We took her and had her put down.  She was so old and sick and unpredictable, it was the best for all involved.  We miss her!  It is very wierd to not have a cat, because I have had one my entire life.  We are getting used to it though, and we still have our crazy dog!

3 comments:

Vickie said...

Sorry about your kitty. I've had to have pets put down before, and it is always traumatic for me, even if I know it is the right thing to do.
We're catless at the moment, too. Our cat disappeared two weeks ago :(. It is strange to be without him and we hope he turns up, but I don't miss the litter box!

Natalie said...

Oh, that's so sad! I'm sorry. :( And poor Avery. Is she better now?

Melissa said...

Avery is fine now, and I too am enjoying not having a litter box!